Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Homemade, saving money and impressing people

I love making things. Several of my home cooking experiments have stemmed out of "I wonder if I can make that. As I am preparing for my super budget, the one where I will have money for the things I need (3 months spending emergency fund) and the ones I want (a shed/office in the back yard of my new house) I am trying to figure out ways of cutting down on my spending.

One project I will be in need of soon is dishwasher detergent, so I did a little research and found a few recipes for homemade soaps. They are quite cheap as the components are cheap and you don't need to use very much to get results (according to the posts).

All recipes found at www.diynatural.com 

Homemade Dishwasher Detergent

1 cup Borax
1 cup Washing Soda
1/2 cup Citric Acid
1/2 cup Kosher Salt

Use white vinegar as rinse aid

Combine in container with sealing lid, shake, use
Simple cheap, impressive!

Homemade Liquid Dish Soap

I'll be needing this soon, not so soon that I don't have time to over think what I want it to smell like!

1 3/4c boiling water
1 Tbsp Borax
1 Tbsp Grated Soap
15-20 drops Essential oils

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl, boil water, pour over dry ingredients, stir, add essential oils and let cool 6-8 hours on countertop, stirring occasionally. Put in a squirt bottle.

Homemade Laundry Detergent (Dry, you can make wet ones but I worry that I would make too big a mess sloshing it into the washing machine)

1 bar shaved soap (I plan to buy some handmade soap, all natural ingredients, from Slab)
1 cup Borax
1 cup Washing Soda

Combine in sealed container, shake, use, 1 Tbsp per load (2-3 for soiled loads)

The next step for me will be figuring out which containers to use and how to decorate them! Squee, art project!

No comments:

Post a Comment