Saturday, August 9, 2014

Chocolate Zucchini Cake -OR- How to use up your giant zucchini

This cake means summer, and also has been m birthday cake pretty much every year for as long as I can remember. It is a cake with no frosting, and is probably why I love cake and dislike frosting.


1/2 cup soft butter
1 & 3/4 cup sugar (sometimes I reduce this down to 1 cup when I'm going for "healthy" cake)
1/2 cup vegetable oil (you can replace some or all of this with applesauce
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup sour milk (to make this, pour a little lemon juice in the 1/2 cup and then fill with milk)
2 & 1/2 cups flour, sifted
4 Tbsp cocoa
1/2 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t cloves
2 cup zucchini, grated
1/2 to 1 cup chocolate chips
 
Cream butter and sugar in stand mixer or large bowl. Add oil, eggs, vanilla and sour milk and blend. Mix together all dry ingredients in medium sized bowl and beat well into wet mixture.  Stir in zucchini.  Spoon mixture, and smooth top, into greased and floured 9 x 13  pain; sprinkle top with chocolate chips.  Bake at 325 degrees for 40 - 45 minutes.

I need to get a better camera than my phone. No frosting allowed, I love this cake!


No comments:

Post a Comment