Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Hey, that's catchy

I heard and read a couple phrases in the past few days that I really liked.

"Don't compare your beginning to someone else's middle."

When first getting into getting financially fit, it's easy to read stories about people who started way before you and to feel discouraged because you will never reach (or it feels like you won't) what they have accomplished and you are just getting started. First of all, comparison will get you nowhere. Secondly, what matters is that you have started! There are still so many people out there who haven't started!

"Professional Home Economist" as the job title of a stay at home mom.

I heard Dave Ramsey say this about a woman who was staying home with the kids, but money was still tight. It was her job to make sure the house ran affordably and efficiently. This means learning to cook, make things from scratch, find the best deals on things they need. I aspire to be a part-time professional home economist (see: sewing, canning, cooking, gardening hobbies!).

"Don't blame other's for your financial problems"

This is what really got me going. I've been blaming my under-employed boyfriend for my finances, or that I don't get paid enough. But really, when I look at my budget, I make enough to live on, I just have been spending too much on food, or gas to go places I really couldn't afford, or going out to eat for dinner when I'm too tired to cook, or forget to bring lunch. There are so many things I am  in control of. Now I am focusing on the final quote:

"budgeting is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went!"



No comments:

Post a Comment