Saturday, December 28, 2013

Saving money for big ticket items


My New Year's resolution is to take me and the fella to Hawaii. He'll help savings too, but his job/school situation is up in the air at the moment, so he's going to do what he can to help but this is my goal. I made this "thermometer" image to print out and keep on my fridge. Every $100 we get in savings (this is including getting up to $1000 emergency fund and $3500 for the trip). 

I've had dreams of Vagabonding, even talked to my fella about it. We decided that we needed a home base though. So buying a house that we and our puppy can live in, and then travel once a year on a long trip. in February we went to NYC which was fun but exhausting as he had never been and I used to live there for nearly 10 years and was wanting to see and do certain things and catch up with old friends. After that I declared we needed a vacation just for relaxing, that was 8 months ago and now I decided on saving up for Hawaii! It also turns out Costco has travel packages! Now I'm excited because I think for about $5,000 we could do a trip every year. More in some cases, but this has me thinking, if we can save up this amount in 8 months, that we can figure out how to save this much every year, even with mortgage payments and whatnot.

I've also been reading and thinking more on Tim Ferriss stuff. 

And now a wishlist of places to travel to for 1 to 4 weeks!
  • Ireland
  • Scandinavia (Finland, Norway, Denmark. Sweden)
  • Germany
  • New Zealand
  • Italy
  • Alaskan cruise
  • Rural Japan (temples and whatnot, no scary city)
  • Scotland/England
Here's the chart for the downpayment which will go on the fridge after we get back from Hawaii! This one will be printed in color though :)



No comments:

Post a Comment