Sunday, January 27, 2013

Weekend! Ice Cream!

I finally cleaned up my room, put away the sewing projects, got the closet (which is filled to the brim) to close so that my unfinished projects aren't taunting me. I set up a table with all my study materials to take my Architecture Registration Exam tests. There are 7 tests, I haven't started any of them but I hope to complete them in 2 years. I have laid out a rough schedule, and I'm starting officially studying when I get back from NYC. The study plan is 2 hours a night, 3 nights a week, plus extra on the weekends if I feel like it. I will be signing up for my first test soon. They cost $210 a piece which means I need to save up a bit for it and work it into my budget!

I made my favorite rich chocolate ice cream during the week and finally got around to freezing it this weekend. I did the bowl in the freezer with occasional stirring method. The ice cream maker I have is super loud and I don't feel like it actually works that well :/

Rich Chocolate Ice Cream

Combine in saucepan:
  1 1/2c heavy cream
  1 1/2c whole milk

bring to a boil and whisk in
  1/2c cocoa powder

remove from heat and add
  4oz chopped dark chocolate (I use the Trader Joe's 72% bar)

In a glass measuring cup whisk together
  4 large egg yolks
  3/4c granulated sugar

Take 1 cup of the chocolate mixture and pour it into the egg mixture WHILE STIRRING. If you don't stir quickly enough you will cook the egg and end up with bits of scrambled egg! Once the egg/chocolate mixture
is uniformly combined, pour it into the chocolate mixture in the saucepan, while stirring. Then add
  1tsp vanilla

Put the custard in the fridge overnight (or 4 hours) and then freeze with your ice cream machine or in a bowl in the freezer stirring frequently until it solidifies and then placing in a closed container.

And now I'm starting a model of a play structure I'm making for the Habitat Gala that I'm trying to help out with, even though I won't be in town for it! I have about a week to finish it and my studying plans begin when I return from NY.

No comments:

Post a Comment